Reading Review - Part A - Issue, Personal Interest, or Opportunity Identification and Keyword Generator


Reading Review - Part A -
Issue, Personal Interest, or Opportunity Identification and Keyword Generator


Currently, as a Teacher On-Call (TOC) I am often at a different school daily. I had the opportunity to work in an elementary school library for two weeks, and a high school library for two months. These experiences provided to opportunity to observe a variety of student practices when researching, and exposed me to a lot of ideas, pedagogies, types of projects, etc. This is both wonderful and overwhelming. Sometimes it feels like too many possibilities are floating around in my head, and since I am not grounded in a “home” school, I am finding it difficult to commit to an idea for this assignment.

That being said, when I have completed the teacher librarianship diploma, I hope to work in an elementary school library. Therefore, I will try to approach this from the point-of-view of -- WOOHOO! I landed my dream job! Now what?

When I start, as the teacher-librarian what will be my role in training students to use digital technologies ethically and responsibly? How will I best assist colleagues in their use and exploration of on-screen education? What is going to be the most important thing I want students to learn? How will I keep them safe?

I created a mess of a brainstorm when beginning to think about this part of the assignment:


As I was writing the keywords, I was imagining them like a large digital footprint...




My thoughts kept returning to how will I teach students to search for, evaluate, use, and properly cite information ethically and responsibly? I have observed so many students relying on "Googling it" when working on projects, and I think we owe it to our students to teach further.

I am interested in exploring Digital Information Literacy, specifically information ethics and research & library skills. I would like to explore copyright, privacy, finding "good" or “real” resources, and citations. I have also been thinking about what information should be shared with TOCs so that when we are with a class long-term, we understand and know our responsibilities regarding consent, class websites, using password protected learning tools, and posting student work online.

To summarize my early thoughts for this section…

Ideas, topics, and keywords so far:

Ethics, responsible and purposeful usage

Storing and retrieving information

Online privacy of minors

Databases vs. “Googling in”

Judgement and critical thinking

Strategies for sifting through data, identifying, determining

Servers outside of Canada

Creative Commons

Ownership of knowledge, resources, product


Government guidelines and policies:

British Columbia’s Teacher’s Federation (BCTF). (2012). Copyright Guidelines for Teachers. Retrieved from https://teachbc.bctf.ca/docs/CopyrightGuidelinesForTeachers.pdf

Government of British Columbia. (2017). Guide to Good Privacy Practices. Retrieved from    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/services-for-government/information-management-technology/privacy/good-privacy-practices

Noel, W., & Snel, J. (2016) Copyright Matters! Some Key Questions & Answers for Teachers. (4th ed.). Retrieved from http://cmec.ca/Publications/Lists/Publications/
Attachments/291/Copyright_Matters.pdf


Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. (2016). Technology and privacy. Retrieved from https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/technology-and-privacy/

Vancouver School Board (VSB). (2016). AI-R: Acceptable use of Technology. VSB Policy Manual. Retrieved from http://www.vsb.bc.ca/district-policy/ai-r-acceptable-use-technology

Relevant curriculum resources:

Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies

Grade 4+ “The choice of technology and tolls depends on the task.”

Social responsibility, personal awareness, critical thinking

Relevant pedagogical resources:

Symbaloo

VSB subscription to databases

Personal Learning Environments/Dashboards (PLE)

A few other resources I have found so far:

Educational Resource Acquisition Consortium (ERAC). (2017). BC Digital Classroom. Retrieved from https://www.bcerac.ca/about/background-info.aspx


Media Smarts. (2017). Media Smarts: Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy. Retrieved from http://mediasmarts.ca/

University of Toronto Libraries. (2017). How do I spot fake news? Retrieved from
https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/faq/how-do-i-spot-fake-news

Valenza, J. (2014, July 26). Librarians wanted for smashing, blending, toolkit building. School Library Journal. Retrieved from http://blogs.slj.com/neverendingsearch/2014/07/26/
librarians-wanted-for-smashing-blending-toolkit-building/




No comments:

Post a Comment