“Hands and mouth and eyes and BRAIN, I have reading power!”


Module 5: Fostering Reading Culture in Schools

The benefit of being on-call is seeing an array of how reading cultures can be fostered in schools in so many different ways. In a high school I experienced a designated Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) time throughout the entire school. This means that everything is quiet and calm, with no announcements and no interruptions so that everyone, teachers included, can read.

A few other things I have seen that I would use in my own classroom are:
(Knoesel, 2017)


Instead of “Silent Reading” I was in a class that chunked reading time into two sections:
“Read-to-Self”
and
“Read-with-Another” 


(Knoesel, 2017)

Students were able to select any type of reading material they wanted, as long as they were reading. Periodically, the teacher would have students write a few notes in their reading log about what they were reading and their thoughts and connections with the story or subject. Students were engaged, and as the teacher, I was able to read their log and ask further questions to continue the conversation. I also noticed that it is a useful way to get to recognize patterns of student reading and to get to know their interests.



Another practice I saw that I would like to use in my own classroom one day was reading boxes. Each student had their own personalized magazine box.
(Reilly, 2013)

These reading boxes were always stocked with at least: 1 chapter book, 1 picture book, 1 graphic novel, 1 information book, and 1 magazine. What I liked about this is it encourages students to borrow a variety of materials from the school library. I also liked that students had many books to choose from depending on their mood/interest that day.

A reading program that I have been learning about is Reading Power, created by Vancouver teacher Adrienne Gear. I had the good fortune of being a TOC in a classroom at her school, and she came in to do a reading and writing activity with the grade 2 students. I really like her reading strategies of: connect, question, visualize, infer, and transform. I would love this use this one day as a school-wide reading program. Currently, I see a lot of schools made the book bins, but then do not follow the lessons school-wide.  Consistency is an importance piece to this program, because it makes a common language used in all grades, which supports student success throughout their journey, as mentioned in this video posted by The Balanced Literacy Diet.


In the future when I am permanently at one school, I would love to implement Gear’s program school-wide to encourage young readers to think about what they are reading, zoom-in, and make connections.

References
Balanced Literacy Diet, The. (2011, November 19). Reading Power: Building Comprehension Skills (Virtual Tour) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gxSIVanmM
Gear, A. (2010). Reading Power. Retrieved from http://www.readingpowergear.com/index.html
Knoesel, L. (2017). Reading [Photographs]. Retrieved from http://knoeselknews.blogspot.ca/
Reilly, M. (2013). Independent Reading Book Boxes [Photograph]. Retrieved from http://maryannreilly.blogspot.ca/2013/02/preventing-literacy-difficulties-in.html

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing how you've been able to collect different ideas while EOCing - I often wish I could sometimes work on call just to experience how others have organized units, classrooms and in this case, reading strategies. What luck to have Adrienne Gear come into the class! I like the video that you included and its focus on building on connections - by multiple teaches using the same strategy and language is a powerful way to integrate a reading program. At high school, it seems challenging to get everyone together let alone agree on a strategy. It sometimes happens, but usually on a smaller scale between a few teachers who like to work together. In a somewhat related vein, it will be interesting to see how this idea of common language plays out in connection to students having to self-report out on the core competencies. As they are learning the vocabulary and skills associated with reflection in elementary, I think high school teachers will greatly benefit and be able to build on those skills.
    I like your goal of implementing Gear's approach school-wide - the position of TL seems the perfect place to do it from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog outlining some solid suggestions and recommendations for potential strategies and programs to better support reading and literacy instruction at a school. I fully agree with Adrienne's Reading Power program and how essential it can be to support an entire school community. A good post with images, links, video, and a solid works cited. Good use of a label as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used snipits of Adrienne Gear's Reading Power but know that it is not as powerful a tool unless all components are understand, taught, and explained for student success. I agree with Julie as well, that with the Reading Power program and the use of metacognition, that will tie in nicely with students' self assessment and understanding of the core competencies. I am going to ask the TL at the school I am at this year if she has the Reading Power Teacher Resource or if she would be willing to purchase a few copies for the primary teachers to share! I have also been a long-term sub in a classroom that used book boxes but I love your idea of having one book from each type of reading material (chapter book, picture book, graphic novel, magazine, information book). I would also add a leveled book or guided reading book for them to reread to gain mastery. After lunch in my classroom we have "Silent Reading" but I like your idea of changing it to "Read to self or another". Some students in my class love to read quietly but out loud, some silently to themselves, and others with a partner. I allow this to happen but maybe the term "Silent Reading" needs to be rethought. I also think it would be neat to join my students in their reading time, sitting down and reading a book too, and modelling the reading process. In addition, having students write down their connections or thoughts would be a great activity to tie into a guided reading lesson or class discussion. Thanks for sharing!
    p.s. What school district are you a TOC in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid, during "silent reading" I'll admit, I used to often sit there and daydream... and turn the pages every now and then to make it look like I'm reading. I bet a lot of students do this, too! I have also seen "noisy reading" in classes, and it was a really nice time for students to share books with one another.

    I'm in Vancouver. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading can be enjoyed in so many ways so why limit children to only reading "silently". I am definitely going to rename this book time in my class! I am in Vancouver as well! We are always looking for TOCs at our school (Maple Grove) so if you would like me to pass your name onto my principal, I definitely can :) It's nice to request subs and know who is coming in!!

      Delete