Lost in a phase...

Module 9: Summarizing and Discussing Phase 2 Topics and Interests


Where did Phase 2 go? I feel like we just started and now it is time to move into the final stages of this class already!

(Pinterest, 2017)
Phase 2 of this course encouraged me to explore some resources and stumble upon types of library environments that I previously did not know existed. Before this course I had not blogged, tweeted, or purchased and downloaded an e-book onto my home computer. So many new experiences; all of them manageable and not scary. Reading the blogs of my peers has also been a valuable exercise in participatory learning and sharing, as I have saved and bookmarked many of the resources my classmates posted. 

If I selected one topic from Phase 2 that resonated with me the most, I would say it was Module 5: Fostering Reading Culture in Schools. I think reading is the basis for everything in life, and often we focus much of our explicit reading skills teaching in the primary grades. I think that we still need to explicitly teach these skills in the intermediate grades, especially as many of our students are EAL learners and newcomers from all over the world. Additionally, during this module my classmates shared so many ideas that I want to try with my own class in the future. I especially liked Brittany Shoemaker’s book circle idea, because I thought that is a lovely way to start the day and encourage students to read books they may not select on their own.
(Lunn, 2016)

Another takeaway I will leave this course with is to allow learning to be messy and to apply design thinking into teaching more often, because success is not a straight and predictable line. ICT 
(Board of Innovation, 2016)

ICT and its use in the educational setting constantly evolves, and teachers have to go-with-the-flow and adapt to changes (I especially enjoyed reading Katy Connelly’s blog on this topic). Thinking about letting learning being "messy" I am curious about STEM education and how a learning commons could provide support.


How could I incorporate that into a library space?
Can the learning commons have a "maker
space" or an "unmaker space"?
What would that look like?
How would that be made possible?

(Jolly, 2017)
How would such a space be managed?

These are questions I feel I will probably explore in the near future. A book I am interested in reading is, "STEM by Design: Strategies and Activities for Grades 4-8" by Anne Jolly.

In my own professional practice, I plan to seek out development opportunities so that as the teacher librarian, I can have a solid knowledge base to teach both students and colleagues. I will continue to embrace and explore online resources, and evaluate their educational usage using critical thinking and evaluative resources provided by ERAC.

References 
Board of Innovation. (2016). Insight into our Design Thinking Workshops. [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.boardofinnovation.com/blog/2016/06/22/design-thinking-workshop/
Connelly, K. (2017, October 13). Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy! [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://katyconnelly.blogspot.ca/2017/10/take-chances-make-mistakes-and-get-messy.html
Educational Resource Acquisition Consortium (ERAC). (2017). ERAC achieving together. Retrieved from https://www.bcerac.ca/index.aspx

Jolly, A. (2017) STEM by Design: Strategies and Activities for Grades 4-8. Retrieved from http://www.stem-by-design.com/
Lunn, N. (2016). Want to Be a Writer? Come to Our Smart Women Week Literary Master Class. [Picture]. Retrieved from http://www.redonline.co.uk/reviews/book-reviews/how-be-a-writer-smart-women-week-lliterary-masterclass
National Academics of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2014, March 6). STEM Integration in K-12 Education [Video file]. Retrieved from  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlPJ48simtE

Pinterest. (2017). Explore Does It Work, It Works, and more! [GIF]. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/94505292157346492/ 
Shoemaker, B. (2017, October 3). Fostering a Reading Culture in School [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://bshoemaker12.blogspot.ca/2017/10/fostering-reading-culture-in-school.html

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed my "Book circle" idea. You could totally use it in the library as well if students come to you for prep or even as a display (like the picture you included in this blog) of theme books for that month! As for STEM, my students love it. I am fortunate enough to have a prep teacher who does fantastic STEM activities with my class. She does more individual challenges but I have done group challenges in the past. Group challenges allow for materials to be recycled after the challenge (and the end product not taken home, as is the case with individual projects) and team work and collaboration are key. In a library setting, I feel like STEM could be quite successful. You can provide groups of children with limited supplies and have an end goal in mind, and then just let them create within their groups! For example, my prep teacher read them a Pirate story for one lesson and then they had to create a treasure chest with only construction paper, masking tape, and some craft jewels. They loved it and the variety of "boxes" they made was very interesting to see! Good luck with your learning in this area. It takes a bit of prep collecting all the supplies, but it is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments about learning to let learning be messy. And STEM projects and makerspaces definitely demand that aspect. It can be hard to let go of a vision or favourite project in order to truly let students explore and discover on their own, and still feel like they are getting the hard skills. We don't currently have a specific STEM program or makerspace in our school library, and I only know of a few other high schools that do. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years. The library seems to be the leveller where all students have access to these approaches and opportunities. Even if offerings are simple to start, they can always grow in complexity and offer a basis for further exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done look back. Your highlight and discussion of specific resources and posts from your fellow classmates was insightful and inspiring. Thank you for an authentic and personalized reflection that can demonstrate to others the power of sharing and connecting.

    ReplyDelete